Friday 22 June 2012

Re Aphrodite exhibition





I've been asked to take part in a rather unique exhibition in Cyprus which I'm excited about! The main reason is the space.  I sort of had an idea of what it looked like since it is a historic building and I went there with school (primary school so as you can imagine that was not very recent) but today I visited the place again and was very impressed.

The building used to be the house of a Christian-Othoman dragoman in the 18th century and is now a museum. There are numerous historic exhibits in the museum and new contemporary pieces by Cypriot artists will be created and exhibited alongside. I'm really pleased I got chosen to take part and look forward to seeing my work exhibited in such a beautiful historic building.

The idea was that some artists were going create pieces based on the building's history but unfortunately I did not have the chance to do that since I was away so I'm exhibiting Lady Alchymia.
One of the many amazing features of the house is that there is a secret passage which sort of looks like a wardrobe (it even has some steps that lead outside) which is the place from there the dragoman actually escaped from when he was chased by .... I forgot who but anyway in the end they found him somewhere in Turkey and decapitated him. He was not the nicest person though so...

2 comments:

geooorge said...

So when's the exhibition?

Daphne said...

sorry I totally forgot to mention the date, it is on the 4th of July!