Wednesday 6 June 2012

Aubrey de Grey documentary



I've been working on an illustration commission and because my mind always wonders when I draw I enjoy playing documentaries at the background. I watched four documentaries yesterday and a bit of tennis and two documentaries today. The most shocking one was the one above about Aubrey de Grey's theories of repairing cell damage and extending human life.

I definitely do not want to live for 500 years and I believe death is part of a bigger picture and that even though it might appear tragic to begin with, it is a wonderful thing...like sleep! This documentary made me think a lot and probably one day we will indeed have longer life spans (since life expectancy is a lot higher now than what it used to be 300 years ago) but there is something quite unsettling about it all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't think you need to feel unsettled. After all, nobody would be forcing you to have any treatment that was developed.

People would still have the choice to age and die in the traditional way.